Tuesday, October 1, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 1~ The Desk Drawers


I have looked forward to the "31 Days" challenge since last October ended. I have spent many hours thinking of what I would write about this year.... book reviews?......casseroles?.....fashion tips?(not)..... then one day when I was trying to find something I knew was in a drawer that was cluttered with...ahem...stuff...the idea for my 31 Days challenge came to me....organize the "hidden" areas of my home. Over the next 31 Days I will take you through some of the areas of my home that needed organizing as well as some that I have already found great ways to keep organized. First on the list...



The Desk Drawers
I love my desk but it is so easy to shove something in one of the drawers if I am scurrying around to do a quick tidy up before guests come. It is also one of those places that family members tend to grab a stapler or calculator out but just throw it back in when they are finished. So today is the day to organize this mess!

I began by taking everything out of the drawers and sorting it into categories- cards, office supplies, paper, etc. and then wiping out each drawer.
Sorting out
I went through all the cards and stationary that I have "collected" over the years and eliminated things I knew I would never use or things that didn't have an envelope to match it. Once I had everything sorted I was able to decide what things needed to go into which drawers. Recently when I was in Target I found some small plastic containers that were divided into compartments in the dollar bins. I had no idea what I would use them for when I purchased them but they were the perfect size to put paper clips and pencil cap erasers in. Small, thin baskets work well too. Putting all the small items in a larger container helps to keep things together and neat. The containers I purchased were see through which helps with finding things quickly. All in all the project took about an hour and a half. 
All organized




No comments: