Tuesday, October 29, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 29~ Gift Buying

About 20 some odd years ago, I decided to really look at a way to organize my Christmas gift buying. I felt like I was just going from store to store and buying things as I remembered who I needed to buy for. I know you can probably imagine how stressful this was. I also spent money I shouldn't have. My gift buying strategy is almost too simple to write about but, nevertheless, I will share it. I create a spread sheet in Excel with four columns. I save this as my master list. Right now, I am the only one that uses my laptop but if you share it with inquiring eyes, you may want to name it something clever like household chores or something that you know nobody is going to willingly open up.  In the first column, I list everyone I need to buy or make something for in one column. In the next column, I type in what I would like to buy or make for each person and the last two columns are left blank.  I make this list small enough to print out and put in my purse so when I am out I have it with me. If I actually purchase the item I have listed I put a check mark beside it. If I purchase something else, I write the item in the blank space. As soon as I can, I like to take the list I had in my purse and update the master list by adding what purchases I have made or what gift I finished making. That, in a nutshell, is it. I told you it was way too simple. I started this with our Christmas buying but I have also made a separate spreadsheet with the months of the year for birthday gifts. 
Last year, my 31 days of October was on having a stress free Christmas. I wrote a post on making a Christmas Gift buying list that you might find interesting. You can find it here
Check back tomorrow for some tips on storing the gifts you purchase until you give them.  

No comments: