Sunday, October 13, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 13~ Recipe Organization

 I am sure everybody has a recipe file box or system of some sort that is divided into categories. I am not going to give you some tips on those because they are pretty self explanatory. This quick tip is for those of us that may collect cookbooks that are part of a series. (I have several) To save me sometime of flipping through the table of contents, when I make a recipe that is a big hit and I know we will want to make again, I simply write the name of the recipe and page number on the inside cover. Not a huge time saver but when I want to find the right book fast it helps. My grandmother always gave each recipe she made a "rating" next to the recipe title. I have adopted this practice. Mom and I have done a little bit of catering and are always looking for new recipes. When we find a keeper, we not only do the rating system but we also write down who we   made it for. My mother has very few weaknesses but she has been know to bring home lonely cookbooks. I don't even want to show you how many cookbooks grace the shelves of our house. We have them organized into categories to make finding things easier. We have several books that are our favorites and they are shelved together. Then we put all of the books together in categories or by series. Most of you probably don't have the hundreds, and yes I mean hundreds, of cookbooks that we have but when you share your home with a "foodie" you have to find a way to keep all these books organized. Thankfully, we are maxed out on cookbook shelf room so maybe that means no more homeless cookbooks following us home? Somehow I doubt that. 


No comments: