Sunday, October 20, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 20~ Organizing Jewelry

 Recently I was getting ready for church 
This is the jumbled mess I found!

and went to my jewelry box to find a necklace that I wanted to wear and realized that my eight year old had decided to "play" with my jewelry. Needless to say I had a mess on my hands. I decided that since I couldn't remember when the last time I cleaned and organized my jewelry it was time.  My jewelry box has three drawers. One divided into small compartments, one with ring holders and a large center compartment and one that is all open. 
I started with the divided compartment for my earrings. I went through each pair, cleaned them and organized them by those that I wear daily, those that are for dressier occasions or holidays etc.
With earrings like hoops I like to lock them together. It is easier to keep track of them that way.

Next I went through my bracelets and rings and stored them neatly in the second drawer. When I got to the jumbled mess that my necklaces had begun I painstakingly untied them all. Here enters my problem...the space in the last drawer wasn't big enough to lay each necklace out flat and fit them all. (I also keep all of Abi's jewelry in my jewelry box for safe keeping.) I really wanted to finish this project today without having to go out an buy anything. What's a girl to do? One word....Pinterest! I searched for jewelry storage solutions for necklaces and after only a few minutes I had my answer. I remembered that I was given a covered bulletin board that was hanging around the laundry room doing nothing so.........


I grabbed the bulletin board and found some clear pushpins in a drawer and arrainged the necklaces in a somewhat artistic way and hung the board on the wall next to my dresser. I am very pleased with the results. In the last drawer, I put all of Abi's jewelry. Because there are not divided compartments in the drawer to keep earring separated, I opted to keep her earrings on several of the cards we bought them with. This way they don't get lost. 


I took the time to clean all the jewelry that was tarnished and threw out things that were broken or that I wouldn't wear anymore. The project took about 2 hours but was worth it in the end.                          

A job well done!

No comments: