Sunday, October 6, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 6~ Hi-Ho Hi-Ho It's Off To Sew We Go!

Today I'd like to share a few ways that I keep my sewing projects organized. Why organize them you might ask? Well, one of the main reasons is that I like to know and plan for the next project. I really enjoy my quilting time and I like to make things for others. If I know what I am making next, I have something to look forward to starting when finishing the project I am working on. That may sound ridiculous but sometimes towards the end of the project I get to the point where I am ready to be done with it. Anyway- I have several ways that I like to find new projects that I want to make. The first is quilt magazines or pattern books. I occasionally buy myself a new quilting magazine or book but I also look for them at yard sales and also at quilt shops- when they go on sale. While looking at the book, I make a list on a sticky note which projects I want to make and stick it to the cover. I keep all my magazines and books stored in magazine holders that I purchased at the office supply stores. I also like to look for Quilting ideas online. Pinterest is a valuable tool. After setting up a Pinterest board and downloading the "pin it" button, when I come across a quilt pattern I like online, I just "pin it" to my quilting board on Pinterest. Lastly- I do get some e-newsletters from quilting organizations that usually send downloadable patterns. These I save in a folder on the computer. By thinking ahead to the next project or two, I can begin to look for fabrics I need to complete it, whether from my own stash or the fabric stores. I can also take advantage of sales if I know what I need. Once I pick my projects and start gathering supplies, I use large plastic zipper top bags to store everything together. I put the details on the bag like which book & page it came from. I then store all of these bags etc. in a small Rubbermaid tote.
  
I also use this same method with my scrapbooking projects. It would work with any craft or hobby that you have. 

No comments: