Friday, October 4, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 4~ Organizing Closets

 Closets are definitely one of the hidden areas of the home that can become out of control. You know the saying "out of sight out of mind"- well that is what my husbands closet had become. Each time I would open it I would look for the proverbial bowling ball to come crashing down. With much trepidation, my wonderful husband put up with me organizing his closet for him. I won't even show you a before picture because first of all, it is nothing I would want anyone to see but more importantly, forgot to take a before pictures. I started by emptying the contents on to our bed. Why our bed? It was a great motivating factor..........it all had to be put back for us to get a good night's sleep. We started going through each item and decided what to keep and what to give away. The give away items were put into trash bags and taken right out to the car, to be donated to a local charity later that day. I suggest getting the bags to donate out the same day or the next day if at all possible. I would rather make a few trips during the process of cleaning out that to have stuff hang around. Next I take the clothes that are being kept and hang them on the hanger the same way and sort the items from light to dark. Shirts first-short sleeved to long, pants and then longer items like suits. I use Rubbermaid containers for storage of extra blankets or anything that is stored on the shelf. The only thing I need to add to Dan's closet is a shoe tree, which I am shopping around for, and the job will be complete. But this is good enough for now. This job took us about 2 hours from start to finish.(Someone was rather slow making decisions) And the best news...He survived it! 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

You brave, brave woman! I would never attempt to help Stewart organize his closet. We'd survive the "emptying out" but the "putting back" would end in tears. And I'm not saying whose tears they'd be...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You've really inspired me to keep going. I've been working hard at organizing this summer but I need to keep it up! Enjoy your weekend!

Cheryl said...

My husband has more clothes than I do...and more shoes. I'd LOVE to have the go ahead to clean out his closet...but I don't see that in my future. :)

On my side of the closet, I slowly replaced all of my hangers with the flat, velvet ones. I love that they all match ('cause I'm weird that way) and they take up less room too. A neat closet is a pleasure!

Jodi-Marie said...

Oh Cheryl- I know what you mean about matching hangers. My someday soon closet will have all flat velvet ones. I am slowly working on that purchase. ;) Right now they are all purple-who would have guessed!