Thursday, October 10, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 10~ Music CD's

 Being the music lovers that we are we have a huge music collection. Currently, our collection is stored in two places: a CD shelf and a CD turn-style shelf. I have become increasingly frustrated by this system but do not have the funds to purchase what I really want at this time. So we have to find a solution that works with what we have. In my search for a workable system I found many different ways to accomplish this feat. One was to take all of the Cd's out of their original boxes and store them in a three ring binder specially made for Cd's. This looked like a great solution, and one person actually cut the paper cover insert off and slid it in the space with the CD behind it. (This would not work in our home because one of the people who lives here would probably suffer some sort of apoplexy if this act was even hinted about) Another suggestion was to sort the music alphabetically. My OCD nature is all for this way of sorting it but again, I live with other people and they would never put the CD back in the correct place which would result in source of major frustration for yours truly. Finally, I stumbled upon an idea I think we can all live with. I sorted the music into type, not necessarily genre, ie: classical/opera, Theatrical sound tracks, Christian, Christmas etc. Then I put a small colored sticker-dot on the spine of each CD and returned them all to the shelves. Hopefully, we will all be able to locate the music we wish to listen to and know exactly where to put it back when we are finished. And even if the family doesn't put it back in the right place, the color coding makes it obvious that something is misfiled and I can quickly put the shelf in order.  

Update: The system is working well, however the sticker dots that I used were ones that I had on my shelf and have lost some of their sticker power. I am going to take my acrylic paint and put a small dot of paint on the CD spine and see how that works. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea, Jodi! It is sort of like a coding system I've seen in doctors' offices. It accommodates both your need for a certain type of orderliness AND is easily noticed by "differently ordered" family members. Seems to me that you are good at finding harmony in your home with this system (pun intended).

Jodi-Marie said...

yes Joanne- it is all about harmony in this home! Some of us have more than others. lol! But it works