Saturday, October 19, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 19~ A Cleaning Schedule

Cleaning the house is not a "hidden area" but I thought that it would be good to share some ideas to keep things clean after they are all organized. Having an OCD nature, this area has never really been a struggle for me but I know there are some out there that do struggle with how and where to start cleaning the house. (My struggle was the opposite- I didn't know when to stop cleaning my house and live a little.)  Many years ago, a friend told me about the book "Sidetracked Home Executives". This book was written by sisters, Pam Young and Peggy Jones, who call themselves "the slob sisters". Their lighthearted writing style tells how they came out of their slobbish ways and developed a cleaning/home management system that really works. It uses a note card system and divides chores throughout the month. I began using the system so that when I completed a job I could file it away until next month and not keep obsessing about it. (That's a whole other blog series!) It begins by having you set up a basic weekly plan that works with your schedule. Once that has been decided, the book lists lots of cleaning chores that need to be done and how often to do them. The system really is easy enough for anyone to use- you just have to have the commitment to look at your card each day and do what you planned. Amazon has the book for around $10. If you are struggling with this area it would be $10 well spent. 



Maybe you are not totally sidetracked but are still wondering why have a cleaning schedule? Well- for me- it saves me from that last minute rushing around to clean up the house before we have people over. We can have people drop by unannounced and everything is usually picked up and cleaned. It helps me not be anxious or embarrassed. My Grammy would be so proud! Her famous saying was-"Don't ever leave the house without everything in its place. You never know, you could have an accident and strangers might have to bring you home. What will they think then?!" This may quite possibly be the reason behind the OCD!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't clean house nearly as much as I used to and I find myself often saying "I hope nobody drops by and sees all this mess!" I have a daily schedule but perhaps a weekly/monthly schedule is in order. Keep the good ideas coming!