Wednesday, October 30, 2013

{31 Days To organize the "hidden" areas of your home} Day 30~ Gift Storing

Have you ever been cleaning out a closet or drawer and found a gift that you had hidden there and forgot about and therefore the gift never made it to the recipient? Well- that used to happen to me a lot so I decided to do something about it. Again, I turn to Rubbermaid containers. I keep a few, very large, Rubbermaid containers in the basement. I just write the word "Christmas" on the outside so nobody knows they contain gifts. I suppose you could label them with some catchy thing like, mismatched socks or something but Christmas 1 and Christmas 2 is also easy for me to remember. When I purchase something, I add it to the box. I then go back to the spreadsheet and in the last column write down which box it is in. If the item is too large for the boxes and therefore stored someplace else, I put the location in the last column on the spreadsheet. (Sometimes, I wrap and tag the gift (no bows-they get squished) before I put it in the box. This saves time wrapping.) Now my children get all of the gifts we buy for them on Christmas day or their birthday and not six months later. I store them with all of the other Christmas storage containers so they don't look out of place. 
What do you do to help keep track of gifts you purchase through the year?

No comments: