Saturday, October 27, 2012

{31 Days to a Stress-Free Christmas} Day 25~ O Christmas Tree

For years my husband insisted on getting a live tree for our Christmas tree. He loved picking out the perfect tree, bringing it home, and filling our home with the fine fresh scent of pine.  Notice I said "loved". I, on the other hand, hated the long process of picking the perfect tree only to spend the month of December sweeping up the needles and sneezing my head off. ( I am allergic to pine) The year the tree fell over, spilling 5 gallons of water all over the floor, sealed the deal for me of never having a "live" tree again. We have not only made the switch to "fake" trees (to quote my husband) but one year at an after Christmas sale we purchased four new pre-lit trees. (It really was the best thing we ever did!) It saves so much time on decorating day. Whichever kind of tree is your families preference, the one thing I have learned is to pick a tree decorating day and get it on the calendar now. The main reason I do this is to stop my children from pestering me with the daily question "when are we putting the tree up?" They can count down the days. We usually put on a pot of chili that morning, turn on the Christmas Carols, and have a grand old time decorating every room in the house. I love the family memories it creates. It is easier to choose a day and stick with it because we don't have to deal with disappointing weather contingencies. By thinking about decorating the tree this early, I also have time to decide if I want to change my decorating choices that year. I can make new ornaments or purchase ones that fit the new theme early on and not feel rushed. 

No comments: