Tuesday, October 23, 2012

{31 Days to a Stress-Free Christmas} Day 23~ The Unexpected



Have you ever been caught off guard by someone who blesses you with a gift during the holiday season and you hadn't thought to pick something up for them? What about that unexpected invitation to dinner that causes you to make a stop at Walmart  (on a Saturday during December) to pick up something small for the hostess (and because of the lines you arrive 20 minutes late)?  I am sure this has never  happened to you (me either...). After a few such instances I decided there was something that I could do to change this. I make a point to pick up some small items like jar candles or Christmas ornaments to keep on hand for unexpected gift giving during the holidays. If I don't need to use them at Christmas time I can use things like candles as a gift for anyone throughout the year. Avoiding last minute stress like this is worth the $15-$20 it may cost to have four or five small gifts at the ready. Some years I haven't wanted to purchase these "just in case" gifts so I baked several loaves of cranberry bread and put them in the freezer. At a moments notice, I could just grab the bread, wrap in brown paper, add a gingham ribbon and homemade gift tag, and have a wonderful "ready made" gift. I found this link to the Martha Stewart website with some great "hostess gifts" but they would be wonderful for any gift you need to give. Here's the link: http://www.marthastewart.com/859060/holiday-hostess-gift-ideas/@center/276958/holiday-entertaining#end


No comments: