Wednesday, October 17, 2012

{31 Days to a Stress-Free Christmas} Day 17~ Family Time

The one thing that seems to suffer when we are so 
busy rushing around preparing for the holidays is family time. The one thing that keeps me grounded and stress free during the holidays is family time. Years ago I realized that we were doing a lot of "stuff" to celebrate the holidays but we weren't really enjoying much of it. We just felt exhausted and rushed but I didn't know what to do to change it. I don't even remember praying about it but God knew we needed to focus on His reason for the season. My husband had coached a homeschool soccer team that fall. As a thank-you, the team chipped in and got him a gift certificate to our local Christian book store. On his way home from work one afternoon he stopped in to the store and purchased "The Family Advent Book". Every night during Advent, Dan read the devotional book to Britni and I. This became such a special relaxing time that we wanted it to continue each year. We have since found a great advent trilogy written by Arnold Ytreeide. My children can't wait for us to read each night. 

We also like to do some things like drive through our town and look at Christmas lights. I make sure I put this on the calendar by mid-November. If I don't our nights fill up and we have a very disappointed little one on our hands. 

Bethlehem Dec 19 08 075One of the churches in our area does a simply wonderful "walk through Bethlehem" that we have attended for the past two years. This event is so popular that if you don't get there early, you wait for hours to go through. As soon as I get the dates for this we put it on the calendar because it is one of the high points of our Christmas season.  

By scheduling our family time, it sends the message to my children that spending time with them is more important than dragging them hither an yon. I really try to be home at least four nights a week, preferably five, during the month of December. We have one week in the month where, as a family, we are involved in a ballet production but that is the only exception. 

Now is the time to look back over what you did last year with your family. If you remember feeling stressed and rushed, start filling in your December calendar now by adding some special family time. 

I would love to hear how others spend their holiday season. What do you do for "down time" with your family during the holidays? 

No comments: