Sunday, October 14, 2012

{31 Days to a Stress-Free Christmas} Day 14~' Tis The Season To Freeze


The Christmas season brings with it many occasions where we need to bring cookies or some other baked treat with us. I hate putting myself under time crunch to bake something at the last minute. Enter the freezer. It is so helpful to take the time now to put some quick breads or cookies in the freezer that can be taken out at a moments notice. I have baked and frozen all of my Christmas cookies each year because they stay fresh longer. Quick breads of all sorts are easy to prepare and a certain family member thinks they taste better after they have been frozen. One of my favorite things to do during apple season is to prepare what I call "apple pie inserts". I prepare the apples and add the spices I would normally add to an apple pie. Then line a pie pan with plastic wrap so that there is excess enough to cover over the pie on each side. Add your apples, wrap up, and freeze in the pie pan. Stick in the freezer. When the apples are frozen pop the plastic wrap out of the pan and wrap well with foil. When you need a pie just put the "inserts" into your crust and bake. (One year I hit a sale on refrigerated pie crusts and froze enough crusts for each pie insert)  I have included a list of what baked things can be frozen and for how long. Don't forget to label and date your packages. I love a good mystery but it's just not the same when it involves frozen blobs of tinfoil. Happy Baking!

Cookie dough= 6 months
Bread=3 months
Muffins or quick  breads= 1-2 months
Fruit cakes= 1 year
Cookies= 4-6 months
Pumpkin pie= 1 month
Fruit pies= 1 year
Fruit pies, unbaked 8 months
Nut pies= 6 months
Pie shells, unbaked= 2 months

No comments: