Wednesday, February 20, 2013

This Week's Project

I have been "re-decorating" our bedroom for over a year now. Yes,  a year. It has been evolving slowly but the time it is taking is paying off. It all started when I wanted to move my daily homschooling area into my room to keep Abi focused a bit better. That involved giving up my double closet to create a reading niche. (Fortunately Abi's room also has two double closets so I took one of those for my clothing) We had an old recliner in the basement so up it came along with a floor lamp and that's as far as I got. Because we left the closet shelf for storage I wanted to make a valance of some sort to hide the "stuff". I just couldn't make up my mind on what to use. A few months ago, I was at a yard sale and saw a bag of valances for $1.00

The walls in the room are a light sage green and I've accented with purple (of course) touches. The quilt I have on the bed currently has a cream colored background. The valances have a lace edging that I absolutely love. After a bit of brainstorming with mom, I hung two valances at the top of each windows, as is. I took two of the valances and sewed them together to create tiers and then cut them in half to make a cafe style curtain for the bottom.  I think They turned out great!

Now what to do with closet shelf I wanted to hide. I had 3 valances left so I sewed them together too. My wonderful husband found three curtain rods in the basement that were the perfect sizes, and within a few minutes, we had everything hung up. 


I just finished this quilted wall hanging last week and it really gives the nook that little bit of cosy it needed. (you can't tell from this picture but the center block is a quote about nature and all the other blocks are flowers or birds- perfect for a CM education) I don't like the book shelf I am using right now but my plans are to put shelves along the end of the closet wall. I am in search of a more comfortable chair as well. The springs in this one are shot but it is working for now. I have always wanted a quiet place to read in my bedroom and I am so thankful I have put this together for less than ten dollars. The quilt cost me about nine of that! 

No comments: