Monday, December 24, 2012

The Tale of Two..... Gingerbread Houses

One of my very favorite Christmas traditions is the Christmas Eve building of the gingerbread houses. Both Dan and I have German decent and we've always looked forward to including this part of our heritage. Last year we bought a pre-made kit with everything included to decorate a sweet little house. This year, I decided to use the gingerbread house cookie cutters (that have been on my shelf for years, unopened) and make the gingerbread myself. I found a great recipe, everything baked perfectly, and dried nicely overnight. Abi and I chose a few candies from our quick outing to the grocery store this afternoon, including ready made frosting (which I don't typically buy) to use in the extravaganza! This year, since I made the dough from scratch, we had enough for both Abi and I to decorate our own houses this year...oh how excited she was.
Daddy fixing Abi's house

Well everything was going along just fine.....the houses were nearly finished......Abi stepped out of the room to go get my camera and as I was adding the finishing touches to my house........... Abi's house fell...SPLAT.....I was struck speechless as I began to feel the devastation Abi was going to have when she returned to the kitchen and......SPLAT mine caved in as well! After hugging away the tears I couldn't help the giggling that came forth.(from me, not Abi) 

My "Masterpiece"

Enter Daddy to the rescue.....Dan gently picked up the pieces of Abi's house, filled the center with crumbled newspaper and got it standing again. (we can't remove the 'Good n Plenty' box bracing up the roof on one side but other than that..she stands)

It reminded me of how our heavenly Daddy, gently picks up the broken pieces of our lives, puts us back together and helps us to stand again. May we all know His great love for us this Christmas Season. He sent His son Jesus for our peace, our health, our anything we need...HE is the Great I AM. 
Abi and her house!

Shalom & Merry Christmas


No comments: