Sunday, November 4, 2012

Slow Cooker Sunday


I really enjoyed the '31 days challenge' that I took part in during the month of October and I didn't want to loose steam, so to speak, and fall behind with my blog postings. I really enjoyed the Five For Fun Series I did a while back so I thought it was time for another one. Introducing....
Slow Cooker Sunday

 Because of our responsibilities at church when we get home everyone is starving and if we haven't planned ahead we wind up going out or ordering in. So in an attempt to have a nice Sunday dinner waiting for us when we get home I am turning to my crock pot. Years ago, I used my crock pot every Sunday but when we combined households with my mom for some reason I got away from it. So for my first week I chose a "go to" recipe that I got from my cousin Angie. 
Easy Salsa Chicken
1 Whole Chicken
3 cups of your favorite salsa

Put the chicken in the crock-pot and pour the salsa over it. Cook on high for 4 1/2 hours or until done. 

 That's it. I told you it was easy! The chicken stays so moist and the salsa cooks out to make a wonderfully flavored sauce. We have served it over rice or pasta. Any of your favorite Mexican sides would go nicely or keep it simple and just add a salad. (It tastes like chicken cacciatore without all the work.)  This recipe gets even better. I have made this with a frozen chicken too. I keep a cleaned, whole chicken in the freezer for times when I know I will be out all day and need a quick dinner prep in the morning. Just throw it in the crock-pot frozen, pour over your salsa and cook on high for 6 hours. The sauce is thin but you could thicken it with some cornstarch before you serve it if you desire. I use medium salsa so it's not too spicy for the kids. Enjoy!

No comments: