Monday, July 12, 2010

Creative Giving

I was reading a blog of a friend of mine who posts a topic on Thursday's called Thrifty Thursday. The idea this past week was to share a way to be creative and yet save while giving gifts. For years I have enjoyed making homemade gifts for friends and family. I myself would much rather have something that someone took the time to make for me. I love to cross stitch and one year I embellished hand towels as Christmas gifts. I have also made homemade cards or recipe cards which I stamped with stamps I have collected over the years. Many times Micheal's has a bin located at the front of the store with stamps for $1.00. I have often found cross stitch kits, unopened and in great shape at yard sales for as little as 25 cents with a pattern that I know is something a friend or family member likes and then all I have to do is the stitching. One year I found some picture frames at a yard sale that were basically just flat edges and I glued jigsaw puzzle pieces from a puzzle I found at a yard sale and put the photo of my daughter that I was going to give grandparents for Christmas in it. They turned out really cute and the total cost was probably $1.00. Here is one for the brave. I save taper candles that are mostly used (you will need a lot- get your friends to give you theirs too!) and remelt them down in a coffee can placed in old pot and pull out the used wicks. I buy new candle wicks, candle scents and coloring, because most wax when melted loses the color it was, at the craft store and then pour the melted wax into mason jars, which I have found at yard sales! When I want to make candles I remind myself to continually check the craft stores for markdown candle making supplies. I have also crocheted Afghans, made fleece blankets, and given away things that I have canned from my garden. I have also gotten in the habit of going out after Christmas and finding Christmas items 50% off and store them away for next year's gifting. I always budget some of my Christmas money to do this then I can usually add something small that I make myself. I also keep a list of people that we buy for and I watch clearance racks all year and pick up things like this too.
Happy Saving

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

You are a very creative gift giver...great ideas!